PDA

View Full Version : Stocking Foot or Boot Foot

cygnus-x1
12-26-2007, 10:46 PM
It looks like my wife is going to buy me a pair of LL Bean (Emergers probably) breathable waders. Now I need to decide on boot $159 or stocking foot $99.

I mainly fish the surf so I was leaning toward boot foot but I hope to get a yak in a year or two and did not know how a boot foot would work in a yak.

With a stocking foot I would need to buy a pair of wading boots to put over them. A friend of mine told me that this combination can be bad in the wash as sand and what not can get down in between the stocking and the boot and drive you nuts.

So what are your thoughts the matter?

basstardo
12-27-2007, 12:35 AM
This was hashed out in a thread not too long ago, and there was some really good info in that thread. You might want to look for that one. If you can't find it though, I use stocking foot and I just don't wear boots. It's OK on the sand, and actually very comfortable, even when it's cold. If I had my druthers, I'd get some breathable boot foots for summer, and some neoprene boot foots for winter. Definitely try them on though before you get them out of the store.

AtlantaKing
12-27-2007, 12:40 AM
Stockingfoot with boots. I've got the Emerger stockingfoot and Ultralight II boot combo and it's great. Sand rarely gets down in between the boot and stocking because the Emerger stockingfoot waders have a built-in gaiter (like an extra cuff sewn into the wader leg) near the ankle. It is permanently attached to the waders and pulls down over the top of the boots; sand just never gets down into the boot, and washes right off. Older style waders that don't have the gaiters can have the problem with sand, but waders with built-in gaiters solves that problem. The boot is also more comfortable since it has laces that you can cinch down as tight or loose as you like, and allows some flexibility in terms of a liner sock/thick sock. The Emerger wader and boot combo actually costs less than the bootfoot model! :)

Fish'n Phil
12-27-2007, 12:45 AM
If you have wide feet, a standard boot foot might not fill well. Like AtlantaKing said, at least with a boot you can adjust the laces. Those gaiters sound like a great idea!

BubbaBlue
12-27-2007, 08:32 AM
Stocking foot.

For the surf, the BPS Flats Boots (http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&partNumber=55184&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults)work pretty good and the price is right. They have a velcro strap on the top that helps keep the sand out.

Fitting is interesting though. Either take your waders with you or put on some BPS waders first to decide on the size to get.

I liked them so much I got a second smaller pair just for yaking.

Railroader
12-27-2007, 08:42 AM
Stocking foot, with wading shoes or boots...:cool:

shark21
12-27-2007, 09:19 AM
I use the stocking foot for their versatility and light weight. I had, until last year, a pair that did not have the attached gravel guard. Yuo can purchase guards for about $10 and they keep the sand out of the boot. The good thing about stocking feet is that I can change from lug boots to felt sole for stream and river fishing. I am currently looking at either Cabelas or Orvis for a new pair.

chump
12-27-2007, 09:29 AM
Definitely stocking foot.

When Oki and I bought ours from LLBean here in Tysons, the old salt fisherman working at the fly shop told us to do it right, buy the best you can afford, and make things modular so that you don't wind up buying one of everything.

LLBean is a great choice, as they have great customer service and a lifetime warranty on their stuff. Just look at how they treated us w/ the wader recall.

Outrigger
12-27-2007, 12:52 PM
Cygnus I have a pair of the now recalled Westbranch stockingfoot waders. Called LL Bean and they will give me credit towards another pair of waders no questions asked. Gotta love their customer service. I can only say that my waders are moderately used and have thus far shown no signs of leakage and I really like them. I too would like to foray lightly into yakking sometime this year and I didn’t know traipsing about in a nimble yak with oversized boots would be an issue. I looked at the bootfoot waders as well before purchase but they just didn’t fit me. I’m assuming the newer Emerger waders have the same style “gator” that rides down snugly over the boot and minimizes any penetration of sand. I can offer that in very cold weather having a single bootfoot wader would be an advantage in that you wouldn’t have to fumble around with laces with frost-bitten fingers. Here’s a pic of the 6” elasticized gator that wraps tightly over the top and ankle of the boot and secures to the laces with an attached metal clasp.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x13/Outrigger2007/waders3.jpg?t=1198774135

seajay
12-27-2007, 06:26 PM
If the water is that cold I am not going deeper than my hip waders. I still have my wet suit and boots by Body Glove keeps me warm in the winter waves. In the winter if I can't cast far enough from the Beach with out swimming o-well.

cygnus-x1
12-27-2007, 10:51 PM
Thank you all for your testimony. I go to see the emerger stocking foot and BPS flats shoes today on FingersAndClaws and I like the comboa AND the price is definitely right!

Thanks all

basstardo
12-27-2007, 10:56 PM
Those flats shoes look nice, and as you said, the price is right. I'm going to stop by BPS tomorrow to have a look at them. For 20 bucks, it's better than walking around in just the stocking feet.

fingersandclaws
12-28-2007, 01:45 PM
Yeah BB, that's what I got for my waders, think you told me about em'. Just gotta upsize a bit for them stocking foots.

JAM
12-28-2007, 01:58 PM
http://www.reddrumtackle.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11932

cygnus-x1
12-28-2007, 02:50 PM
http://www.reddrumtackle.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11932

Thanks JAM. I did not even think about this but with a Stocking foot I have th option to buy different types of wading boots and possibly even a pair with felt or cork on the bottom. It gives me potential flexibility.