Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Great White Shark Near Sandy Point ?

Great White Shark Near Sandy Point ?

Hey guys is this true ? A friend emailed this picture. I,m normally in fresh water.

Chesapeake Bay, near Route 50 Bay Bridge and Sandy Point State Park…at last I have the ultimate excuse not to do the “Polar Bear Plunge” in January. It’s not only crazy to jump into freezing cold water, it could be down right dangerous! Note the expression on the face of the man wearing the Red Baseball cap. He’s still scared half out of his wits and glad to be alive!

Annapolis MD
    While the vessel 'Dawn Raider’ out of Marklys Marina in Essex, Md. was fishing for Striped Bass (also locally known as Rock Fish), this Great White was hooked in the mouth but only resisted slightly for 15 minutes before it came up alongside t he boat to have a look; long enough for one of the crew members to slip a rope a round it's tail!!! 'And that's when things heated up!!
    .. The Shark took off towing the 42 foot fishing boat backwards through the water at about 7 Knots. Just like in JAWS, the boat was taking on water over the stern and the crew watched in horror as the shark would actually jump completely out of the water at times. This went on for an hour before the shark finally drowned. She weighed in at 1035 LBS. It is suspected she followed a weak El Nino current into local waters in search of food. Although mid 60 degree water is considered ideal for these sharks, the larger ones can tolerate water in the low 50s.
    Markley's Marina Essex, MD

NOTE: THE TAIL FIN IS THE SIZE OF A MAN!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shark 1.jpg 
Views:	9954 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	699   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shark 2.jpg 
Views:	7995 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	700  

No this is not a true story. This has been circulating around the internet for a while.

the pics are not even a white

Ellicott City, MD/Bethany Beach, DE. Grew up in Yorktown NY..fishing the Hudson
    And any Captain that's stupid enough to bring a Great White back to the scale would be the laughing stock of the marina. And also get a huge fine.

Here's where the folklore may have started: http://vbsf.ipbhost.com/index.php?ac...r&f=11&t=12861

Not true. It may be close to a town called Essex but it sure ain't in Maryland. Besides, is there even a town called Essex located in Nova Scotia?

Fin seen at SPSP

There was a fin seen at least years Polar Bear Plunge...

here is the pic...

except it was attached to a Planer board a little out from the boat. I think it was a pretty funny joke...

maybe it was a cownose ray

It is a hoax. The shark looks like a Mako to me but I'm no expert.

There are Bull sharks in the Bay

they are caught around the pilings.
    Orest

great shark needs salinity.
    tiger shark or maybe a lemon shark better fable.

only thing scary is the jelly fish when it gets warmer.

Quote Originally Posted by INDIO View Post
    great shark needs salinity.
    tiger shark or maybe a lemon shark better fable.

only thing scary is the jelly fish when it gets warmer.

Read OREST's post above.

Bull Sharks like brackish waters and they come up to the Bridge. Bulls are very nasty and aggressive.

Quote Originally Posted by TitusV View Post
    It is a hoax. The shark looks like a Mako to me but I'm no expert.
    It is a mako - and the area code in the phone number on the crane is not Maryland...

"On Aug. 26, 1987, The Baltimore Sun reported that a man had caught a 420-pound, 8 1/2-foot bull shark while fishing

around the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. Similar catches have been reported as far north as Aberdeen, up near the mouth of the Susquehanna River.
    "

dont kn ow how reliable this is...

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/sharks...harks2004.html

Great White?

Are you sure it wasn't a thresher? Bayfisher caught this beauty a few years back!!

LMAO Sorry I couldn't help myself!!!

Good eye on the phone number on the crane, but the crane could be from out of town, or put there by the manufacturer rather than owner. But the phone numbers are relevant as its the same on the two links (not to mention the same people and photos). Compare the two posts and that says it all...HOAX

See ffemtreed's post of http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/yarmouth.asp and

Compare to my prior post of: http://vbsf.ipbhost.com/index.php?ac...r&f=11&t=12861

So it was either Nova Scotia or Chessie.... this one is wrapped up.
    Last edited by saltandsand; 03-07-2008 at 09:16 AM.

Area code 902 is the telephone area code in the Canadian provinces of Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island, encompassing the whole of both provinces

Quote Originally Posted by saltandsand View Post
    Good eye on the phone number on the crane, but the crane could be from out of town, or put there by the manufacturer rather than owner. But the phone numbers are relevant as its the same on the two links (not to mention the same people and photos). Compare the two posts and that says it all...HOAX

See ffemtreed's post of http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/yarmouth.asp and

Compare to my prior post of: http://vbsf.ipbhost.com/index.php?ac...r&f=11&t=12861

So it was either Nova Scotia or Chessie.... this one is wrapped up.
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskyMD View Post
    Area code 902 is the telephone area code in the Canadian provinces of Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island, encompassing the whole of both provinces

Definately wrapped up and into the HOAX bin.

Yep I was there when BF caught

that Thresher. What a fight.
    Orest

Quote Originally Posted by Orest View Post
    that Thresher. What a fight.

man I knew PowerPro was tough but WOW.. I

But yeah bull sharks, they chase them Rays up the bay. They get nabbed every now and then up near the bridge... and for anyone who watches the discovery or nat'l geo channels on sharks, those thing will swim up rivers in Asia and Africa and have a field day on the people in the water.

As someone said before. if you go in water knee deep, you are no longer on the top of the food chain.

Hello

Mako....Mako....Mako.....Mako.....

old post....old post....old post....old post....

Here we go again.
    There are those who get things done
    There are those who watch things getting done
    There are those who wake up and say what happened.
    Which one are you

there are always sharks in the area first of all, the chances of actually encountering one that far up the bay are very slim but it is possible and has happened....and the answer to your question is no the pictures are of a large Mako shark not a great white and a mako is a deep water shark doest frequent beaches and low salinity bays

Already reported in the Sun paper as a hoax. This was apparently caught off the coast of nova scotia.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast